Kool & the Salsa
A spicy, sweet, tangy, super easy and blindingly colourful mango salsa.
Preptime: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
This recipe should yield about 3-4 servings
- 3 medium-sized ripe mangoes, diced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped.
- ½ cup spring onions or chopped red onion.(I used spring onions)
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped.
This can be substituted with fresh Basil or scent leaves for my Nigerian people; please use sparingly
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 Green chilli or habanero pepper deseeded and finely chopped.
- 1 large lime, juiced
- Salt to taste.
- In a serving bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the lime juice and salt.
- Add in the lime juice and mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste with salt, this is optional but i find that it ties in all the flavours.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes and you’re done!
You can have this as a meal on its own, it also works as a perfect side dish for grilled chicken and a great dip for tortilla chips etc. Your options are endless, you can also serve cold. To preserve, transfer into airtight containers and refrigerate. It should keep for 1-2 days, that’s if you don’t gobble it all up before then!
Hello quirkies and welcome to another #WednesdayYumday *insert wild cheer*
This week, I decided to keep it simple after the popping tomato stew recipe, you know just balance all that intense cooking with something simple but yummy.
The name of this dish “Kool & the Salsa” was coined from music band “Kool and the gang, like the band, this salsa combines various ingredients to produce a simple but tasty masterpiece.
Preparing this meal can also be used as a fun bonding experience for families, friends or partners. Let me set the scenes for you: Your little one chops the mangoes and you handle the fiery peppers or your partner handles the main dish and you rustle this all up. Whilst rewarding yourselves with little bites of sweet mango of course 😀 You can also make this to impress a date, your options are endless.
Let me know if you try this, or have any recipe you would like me to make. I’ve had a request for Chicken Stroganoff and I’m still trying to get my head round mushrooms(I think they taste like uncooked liver, ugh!). Mushrooms are an essential part of the recipe but try it I shall in the end!
That’s it quirkies! We’ll be back on Friday with this week’s installation of #QuirkyFriday and we’re talking side dishes but not the type you know. I can’t wait!!!
Have a wonderful midweek, keep on smiling and transforming lives 🙂
Talk to y’all later xxx